Navigation Content Activities in the Peak District

Alfreton Hall



Alfreton Hall was built around 1724-25, close to the site of an older building, for George Morewood and was owned by the Palmer Morewood family, owners of many of the local coal mines, until 1957, when the Derbyshire County Council acquired it and surrounding land. They sold on four acres and the house to the Alfreton UDC in 1964. Most of the house was demolished in 1968, having been substantially weakened by mining subsidence. The remainder, the wing built by Benjamin Wilson in 1855, was converted into an arts and adult education centre. The land is now part of an attractive public park, providing facilities for swimming and other sports.