Aston is situated 8 miles south of Derby city centre, Aston on Trent is an unspoiled South Derbyshire village. The River Trent, it divides the counties of Derbyshire and Staffordshire in this pretty little place. Originally twin settlements, Aston and Western are the 'East farm' and the 'West farm', respectively.
Aston village is an attractive conservation area with the most important buildings being the mediaeval parish church, and the adjacent hall, built by Robert Holden and his wife Elizabeth in 1735. Its design is attributed to one of the Smiths of Warwick and is now converted into apartments. There are important prehistoric remains in the Trent Valley gravels beneath Aston and a Bronze Age log boat was discovered on the edge of the parish near Shardlow in 1998.