The village of Edensor was rebuilt 1839-1842 during the reign of the 6th Duke of Devonshire. The original village was almost totally demolished by the 4th Duke as it marred his view from the windows of Chatsworth. The layout and design of the houses was planned by Joseph Paxton and John Robertson using designs of Anglo-Italian, Swiss and Gothic styles with each house having its own individual characteristics.
St Peters Church at Edensor was constructed in 1867 and accredited to Sir Gilbert Scott. Many portions of the earlier church were incorporated including the Norman doorway. In the chancel is a monumental brass to John Beton who was the dedicated servant of Mary, Queen of Scots, and helped liberate the Queen from her captors at Loch Levan. He faithfully served Mary during her captivity at Chatsworth until his death in 1570 at the age of only 32.
At the top of the churchyard are the family graves including that of Kathleen Kennedy whose father was the United States Ambassador in London. She married the Marquis of Hartington in 1944 but after only 5 weeks together he was ordered to France during the Second World War and killed in action in Belgium in September of that year. In 1948 Kathleen was herself killed in an air crash.
There is a plaque commemorating the visit to Kathleen’s grave by her brother President John F Kennedy in June 1963. The presidential plane (Air Force 1) landed at a military airfield in Lincolnshire from where he was brought to the park by helicopter. After visiting the grave, President Kennedy is said to have visited Chatsworth House , much to the surprise of unsuspecting visitors.
Just across the road from the estate village of Edensor is a remnant of the earlier village. Naboth’s Vineyard takes its name from the 1st book of Kings XXI after a previous owner who refused to sell to the Duke and have his home demolished as an eyesore. It is also known as the Andrex cottage having featured in a television advert many years ago.
Up the road slightly are the Edensor Institute and Estate Offices of 1775 which used to be an inn.
Edensor Post Office and Tea Rooms are very popular with tourists and walkers in the area – their fresh baked scones washed down with a pot of tea make welcome refreshment.