Navigation Content Activities in the Peak District
Facebook

Ladybower Reservoir

Ladybower Reservoir

Surrounded by wonderful Dark Peak Countryside, Ladybower Reservoir was constructed in 1943 when the Ashopton and Woodland valleys were flooded. It was officially opened in 1945 by George VI and is a remarkable feat of engineering which continues the line of dams downstream from Howden and Derwent. Prior to the valley being flooded, the village of Ashopton disappeared, with the demolition of farmhouses, cafes and a posting inn. Residents of Ashopton were mainly rehoused at the newly constructed village of Yorkshire Bridge.

Ladybower Viaducts

Two huge viaducts were built over the reservoir to carry the A57 Snake Pass road which runs between Sheffield and Manchester.

There are lovely paths and tracks to follow around the reservoir with a car park set in nearby woods as well as roadside parking.