Navigation Content Activities in the Peak District
Facebook

Parwich History




Remotely situated amongst high hills in Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park, Parwich is a largish, quiet and pleasant village with stone houses set around a village green and church. Population in 1990 was around 500 inhabitants.


The hall, with its terraced gardens is a 5 bay house with a projecting central bay. It is occasionally open to the public.


The church of St Peter was rebuilt in 1873 by Robinson of Derby, on a much older site possibly going back 800 years. It retains a Norman doorway and chancel arch and contains a fine carved tympanum over the west doorway, showing the lamb of god with a cross, a stag trampling on a serpent, a wolf, and other strange animals.


The Royston Grange Archeology Trail runs nearby and gives a remarkable insight into the areas history, with the remains of a Roman field system, Roman manor house and late medieval buildings. The trail starts at Minninglow car-park by the old railway bridge over the Parwich to Pikehall road.


Parwich village has a pub called the Sycamore Inn close to the church, which does bar snacks. Two former pubs called the Crown and the Wheatsheaf have been converted into cottages, but there a British Legion. The village retains a shop cum post office and a village school. Parwich also retains it's community spirit. As well as many church and school functions there are a number of local clubs and sports activities.


Directions for Parwich

To get to Parwich, take the A515 out of Ashbourne towards Buxton. After about 2 miles take a right turn onto the B5056. After a further 3 miles, turn left for Parwich. Roadside parking available near the church gate.

Photos and information provided by Edward Rokita - see Derbyshire UK at www.derbyshireuk.net