Winster Market Hall And Yeulgreave Fountain
Winster Market Hall
This is a fine example of an old market hall,standing in the middle of the main street of this ancient lead mining village in The Peak District. It was the first property acquired by the National Trust in Derbyshire, back in 1906. The lower arches of stone are thought to be about 500 years old, whilst the upper portion of brick and stone was rebuit in 1905 using old material. Some of the arches had to be filled in to strengthen the building.
The 'Fountain' is a stone built water tank, nine feet high and nine feet wide with a capacity of 1500 gallons. It provided Youlgreave with its own private water supply, coming from Bradford Dale. It has not been used for a long time. To the right is the 2 roomed building sometimes known as Thimble Hall.