The village of Grindon is located in the Staffordshire Moorlands area of the Peak District National Park, sitting close to Ossoms Hill at a height of approximately 1,000 feet above sea level, with the deep, dark and secretive Manifold Valley to the east.
Grindon was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Grendon which meant green hill.
All Saints Church in Grindon dates from the 19th century, although an earlier place of worship is thought to have stood on this site. Inside Grindon Church is a memorial plaque in the south aisle made up of wreckage from a Halifax bomber. It is in memory to eight men who lost their lives in the severe winter of 1946/7 when the aircraft crashed on these upland hills whilst bringing food to the village which was cut off at that time by a heavy fall of stone. Among those who perished were six crew members as well as two photographers working for the local media.
A nearby cairn to commemorate the lives of the eight men was also erected on 28th September 1999.
Around the churchyard of Grindon Church are some fine mature sycamore and beech trees.
Grindon lies on an old packhorse route from Ecton Copper Mines to the Churnet Valley where the copper ore was processed.
On Grindon village green by the church gates is the carved Rindle Stone. This records how the lord of the manor of Grindon established his rights to the rindle at Stafford Assizes on March 17th 1862. A rindle is a brook flowing only in wet weather.
On the eastern side of the Manifold Valley stands the amazing gaping chasm of Thors Cave which draws many visitors who make a pilgrimage up the steep slopes to venture into its cavernous mouth. Over the centuries it is known that Thors Cave was used as a shelter and occupied by shepherds, miners and occasional homeless persons, but archaeologists have found more interesting artefacts from for earlier settlers. In the 19th century, Thomas Bateman from nearby Hartington, who explored and investigated many local sites, together with Samuel Carrington, a schoolmaster from Wetton, studied Thors Cave in depth. They discovered arrowheads, bone combs, bronze brooches and bracelets, iron adzes along with Roman pottery ware and coins. Many of these are now held at the Sheffield and Buxton museums.
There is a lovely footpath from Grindon leading through Ladyside Wood which takes you down to the River Manifold and across from the steep path up to Thors Cave.