Ible is a shy little hamlet where time has almost stood still, and the passing hiker is viewed almost with suspicion and surprise.
Beeches Farm in the centre of Ible is a lovely old farmhouse, whilst just along the narrow single track road is an amazing row of 12 troughs, all fed by the water from a spring. These date back to the time when the main road to Cromford went through Ible and packhorses, coaches and wagons would have stopped to let the ponies and horses drink.
In 1792 The Via Gellia road down in the bottom of the valley was laid on instruction of Sir Philip Gell of Hopton, and Ible obtained one of the first bypass roads in the county! This has helped Ible retain its quiet and serenity, devoid of heavy modern day traffic trundling through the village
It is still possible to see old stone farm buildings and shippons in Ible where cattle, horses and sheep are contained and pop their heads over the split doors to gaze inquisitively at passers by.
Chestnut Farm in Ible has some interesting blocked up windows in the end wall, maybe a legacy of the window tax ?
Whitelow Lane from Ible leads to Blakemere Lane and is part of an old saltway leading from Ashbourne to Matlock and Ashover. It route from Ible was down to Matlock Bridge on Salters Lane.
Bonsall Moor to the east of Ible contains the remains of many old paths and tracks, some of which were established by miners as access to the numerous lead mines in the area. When a miner found a vein he registered his discovery with the Barmaster. His right of access to his mine from the nearest highway was only for himself and horse transport and not for a wagon. The path was walked by two jurymen of the Barmote Court, walking abreast with arms outstretched and fingers touching. These rules were laid by the Inquisition for the Kings Field of the High Peak held in Ashbourne in 1288.