Taddington History

Taddington in the Peak District is a linear, ancient village standing at an altitude of 1000ft, 5 miles North West of Bakewell.

Early evidence of human settlement around Taddington came from the Five Wells chambered tomb, one mile to the east. Five Wells, at 1400ft is the highest site of its kind in Britain. The grass covered cairn of limestone rubble, raised over 2 stone burial chambers, was about 70ft in diameter and excavations here have revealed much information about the Neolithic period in the White Peak. The tomb was opened by Thomas Bateman in 1846.

Like at Chelmorton, the 17th and 18th century stone walls often mark the parallel cultivation strips of the medieval open field type of agriculture, known as strip farming, with large scale O.S maps showing the remains of a reverse S shape, caused by turning the 8 strong teams of ploughing oxen in the narrow rectangular fields.

The Parish Church of St Michael is the most important building in the village with its 14th century tower and brooched spire, this is well known throughout The Peak District. Also from that century are the nave and aisles, which have lofty arcades of 4 bays. The church was extensively restored in the 19th century by Naylor and Sale, and contain fine brasses to Richard Blackwell, who died in 1505, and was presumably some local dignitary.

Taddington and it’s neighbour Priestcliffe have a combined population of about 470. The removal of heavy traffic from the village onto the bypass and a regular bus service to Manchester and Nottingham has made a great improvement to village life.

Much of the village’s social life centres at the Queeens Arms pub at one end of the village and the Waterloo Hotel at the opposite end.

It is a popular place for ramblers, with fine views to be had from Hunphrey Gate Quarry, now disused, of the Church, houses and fields.

Photos and information provided by Edward Rokita – see Derbyshire UK at www.derbyshireuk.net